/* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { color:#774; } #postfeeds { }

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The end of something

I got pinged by Haloscan today. They're rolling out the change blog by blog, and MB's blog had already been converted, so I knew it was coming. Haloscan has been taken over by another company, which wants to charge me $9.95 per year to continue hosting the comments. In fact, I voluntarily paid more than that to Haloscan per year -- but that was to keep the pixie party ad-free, not to keep it running at all.

I've thought about it, and I've decided to let the comments come down. It's the money -- not the amount of it so much as the change in terms, really. But it's also the deeply personal nature of so many of the comments we left here over the years. These comments were always indexed by search engines, and may live on through the wayback machine or something, but I think it's probably not a bad thing if they eventually disappear from teh internet's semi-eternal memory.

I haven't decided what I'll do once the comments are gone. I may just revert back to Blogger comments and moderate them; I may move the site if Laura finds a way to import the old comments into a different format; I may not activate comments at all. It would be a bit weird, using this space for occasional monologues rather than conversations. But the conversations take place elsewhere these days, and I think many of us prefer to have the personal conversations in more private settings, anyway.

It was a wonderful party while it lasted. I want to thank you all for coming. You have enriched my life in ways I can't even begin to enumerate, and I'm very glad to count so many of you among my friends. Thank you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home